– Hello, thanks for your time. What are you currently up to?
At the moment I am in the middle of one big landscaping project and the recordings of new BTD album so been pretty busy lately
– First of all, could you please make some history of BLACK SUN AEON?
I started BSA as a solo project 2008 and from 2009 been releasing an album / year. I have been using a lot of guests on the album on vocals (tomi koivusaari/amorphis, ville sorvali/moonsorrow etc) but there is also few vocalists who has been on every album and by that a part of the bands sound. They are Mikko Heikkilä, Janica Lönn and Mynni Luukkainen. All of them are part of the session line up also for the gigs.
– How did you come up with the band’s name?
I wanted to have a name that reflects the word «darkness» as well as possible. I think I came pretty close 🙂
– And what influences have helped building the band’s sound?
I didn´t really have any influences from other bands. I had a very clear vision of the crushing and big guitar+bass sound and for that I had a custom made guitar that can go to very low tunings and also had to use a bit special bass that is able to compete with the guitar. those 2 together are the biggest «weapons» in the BSA sound. After «learning by doing» on the first 2 albums I have finally reached the ideal BSA sound on the new album
– You will soon release «Blacklight Deliverance», what are your expectations?
BSA is a very personal project where I write music to myself instead of the audience so musically my expectations have been reached. I hope that all labels involved on this release will do a good job and if the music reached people and touches few of them deeper it is all just a very cool bonus :). I hope to be able to play as much as possible outside Finland!!
– How could describe this new album in just 3 words?
Infinite beauty (of) sadness
– The artwork is more beautiful this time, could you please tell us more about it?
I had the same guy to do the art than on the previous album «Routa». «Routa» was a theme double album so the cover needed to be a bit abstract to work for both albums but this time the cover is designed to fit hand in hand with the music and I am extremely happy about the result
– I could say «Blacklight Deliverance» is a more varied album than your previous effort, moreover it also features female vocals and clean vocals play a bigger role. Was there any concrete reason behind this?
Indeed it is more varied. I really enjoy working with Janica and Mikko since both are extremely talented and professional. It was a clear goal for this album to have more clean vocals to create bigger contrast between the songs and also it opens a lot of doors while writing music. Some parts of songs are death metal while some sound like alice in chains so it is varied indeed 🙂
– Did anything change during the songwriting process?
It is always the same for all of my bands. I just pick up the guitar and start to play something and suddenly I have a new song 🙂
– What are some of the lyrical ideas covered in this brand new record?
The previous album was a theme album about winter and on the new album I went a lot more personal direction and there is a lot of dark and sad issues in the lyrics that has either happened or revealed to me during this year. Songs «solitude» and «oblivion» could be directly from my diary if I had one
– Since 2009 you have released one album per year (with BLACK SUN AEON), can we then expect another full-length album for 2012?
I hope :). I would not have any problems to get the album recorded but it is a different story with the labels do they want to continue the fast phase with the releases.
– With such a vast career and experience into the music camp, what could you say are both the best and worst thigs off this world?
The music itself is the best thing. Touring and gigs, sharing of cool experiences with band members. The worst is the business. Financially it has become very difficult to make music and for examble I don´t make any money with BSA but still work my ass of to make the albums. The whole business is in big troubles and at the same time more and more people think that all music should be free to download.
– And what have been your best and worst releases so far?
The worst is 4:17am from BEFORE THE DAWN. I am not saying that it is not a good album or that I don´t like it but it was made in very difficult time and soon after the release all other members left or was kicked out :). A lot of good songs but too many musical compromises. The best so far is «Blacklight Delivance» for sure but then again I believe that for all song writers the latest is the most dearest
– You are currently playing in different bands, how do you decide what songs belong to a concrete band? I mean, haven’t you ever started writing a song for THE FINAL HARVEST for instance and then thought it fitted the best with BLACK SUN AEON?
No. I always know right away to which band the song is going. It comes from the mood I am in while writing.
– Finally, what are your near-future plans? As considering your hiperactive activity I guess there may be much going on in your mind
Need to get new BTD album done before going on tour with BTD supporting Insomium. Also have gigs coming for BSA and few session drumming gigs. Need to produce one album before christmas for one Finnish band and make 3-4 music videos. No boredom in sight 🙂
– That’s all from my side, thanks for your time once again. Now feel free to add some final words to our readers.
I always suck with those so I will skip 🙂