– Hello, lots of thanks for answering our interview. How is everything going into the THUNDRA’s camp right now?
Hello. Right now everything is great, our new album is out and everyone in the band are exited about this release…there is always good vibe within the band whenever we do something new.
– You have just released your new album, «Angstens Salt». How has its feedback been so far? And are you personally satisfied with the result obtained?
The feedback so far has been nothing but really good. And I think we never has been this satisfied with a release as with this one.
– This has been your first record with Ruben Osnes. What has he brought new to THUNDRA?
Well, me and Harald(drums) play with Ruben in EVIG NATT so we knew already he was a talented musician, and that he had the same mindset as the rest of the guys in THUNDRA. So the integration to the band was painless, and I feel that he has also given the band a more vitality in the sense of writing music.
– This record has been released through your own label, Black Dimension Records. How positive has this been for the band? Do you plan releasing any other bands?
At this point in our carriere, we were fed up with labels and so on, so we decided «why not try to do it ourselves…try something different». I believe this was the best thing to do for THUNDRA, and I personally enjoyed this kind of involment in the whole process of making a record from start to end. And also the whole band was involved making this happening, instead of earlier when we were finished recording, we just sent the master to a label and waited for them to release it. I don’t know if I’ll sign other bands…maybe…we’ll see
– In fact this time you have done everything by yourself, as the recording and production. What are the pros and cons of this? As I guess no one like you may know how THUNDRA is supposed to sound like but, on the other hand, it may also mean harder work and extra pressure.
Actually, nobody knew how the album were supposed to sound like…heheh. This time we just composed the «framework» of the music, recorded that, and just let the creativity of the band flow in the studio. So a song could change it’s «appearance» from day to day….so nobody knew what had changed in a song since the last time they heard it. We could spend a whole day on something, and just scrap it after 8 hours working with it, and the next day record something new on the first take, and keep it on the album. For me personally, working this way was fun and inspiring. This was the first time I ever got tired producing/recording a album..heheh
– Several bands are handling all this by their own as well. Now that record labels are less useful, so to speak; do you think the future is this DIY way of making albums?
One short answer : YES
– Musically I could say «Angstens Salt» is a more solid album than «Ignored by Fear», specially on song writing terms. Did the song writing process changed at all for this new CD?
Like I mentioned earlier, this time we almost made the whole album in the studio. Earlier we composed and formed everything before we entered the studio, so we recorded the songs as we wrote them. But with «Angstens Salt» every song could change from day to day, the only thing that was carved in stone was the drums and the «framework» of the songs.
– Talking about such, how has THUNDRA evolved since «Ignored by Fear» came out?
Not much I think, we have maybe gotten more relaxed and try not to overthink when making music.
– «Worshipped by Chaos» and «Ignored by Fear» were lyrically linked albums but, what do lyrics on «Angstens Salt» deal with?
The lyrics on «Angstens Salt» more or less translates how humans become less and less a individual and how you go by life numbed/dumbed down. Wake up and do your own thing and be an individual.
– Guitars on here have a really classic vibe, almost rockier, in fact I also noticed that on some of your previous albums. Is this a sound you were specially looking for or do you just go with the flow?
This has always come natural for us. Rune(guitar/solo) is a fan of 80’s guitar heroes, Malmsteen, Rhoads and so on, and the rest of us are into more extreme music and of course other generes. So when making music we automaticly blend all that.
– All this about «Angstens Salt» being said; how could you describe it in just 3 words?
Intense, Raw, Melodic
– You are one of the Norwegian Viking Metal pioneers, and throughout the last years this scene has grown and changed a lot but, what’s your take on the newer bands and the general urge on this music style nowadays?
Quite honest, I don’t pay that much attention to whats going on anymore. For me there are too many bands popping up….and dissapering as fast as they came. There are bands with potensial, but they just vanish. Few bands stand out anymore
– And finally, what are your near-future plans?
Thats a good question…..we really dont know. Hopefully do some touring and gigging, recording more music…who knows
– That’s all, thank you once more for answering our questions. If you want to add some final words; feel free to do it.
Thanks for doing this interview with us. And we hope we gain new fans reading this interview. If you enjoy black/prog/extreme/classical metal Please check out THUNDRA «Angstens Salt»