– Hi, thanks for your time. What are you currently up to? How is everything doing right now with CRYSTAL EYES?
We’re doing just fine. We just released a new record and it has received great reviews in the media and from fans so everything is just how it should be. Stefan left us right after we finished the recording of Killer so we’ve been busy rehearsing with our new drummer Martin Tilander since then. At this very moment we’re negotiating with a booking agency and hopefully we get some live-dates soon.
– First off, how are you feeling with being back on track after 6 years with your new album, «Killer»?
6 years is a very long time and for Crystal Eyes it’s the longest time ever between 2 records. Member changes, shitty record sales, lack of gigs, full time jobs, families etc have been the main reasons for this long time but it’s great that we finally made it. It was actually a bit frustrating that the record wasn’t released until now because we ended the recording last summer.
– What are your expectations on this opus? Do you feel some kind of fear that people may have forgotten a little bit about you throughout these last years?
I don’t think our few fans have forgotten us and I hope something will happen now when we’ve moved on to a bigger label. It’s still a big dream to make a living of my music but it’s probably not to think about in these pirate times.
– And how could you say has the band evolved since your previous record came out?
With me back on vocals it’s a really big difference. I now realize that I never should have let anyone else sing in Crystal Eyes. The songs a probably a bit more direct to the point but it’s still Heavy Metal in the veins of the eighties with bands like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Accept, Dio, Helloween etc.
– Digging deeper into this new album, I find the explicit cover artwork fits perfectly with album’s title. Does the album title/cover have someting to do with any girl you know?
Ha ha ha hell no =) I had the song and then wrote the lyrics and then it became the title. Stefan mentioned something he had seen on the cover of an old horror movie from the seventies or something and this became the main idea of the cover. I have no idea who’s on the cover. You have to ask Jan Yrlund who made it.
– Personally I think «Killer» is a more forceful and a heavier album compared to its predecessors. Was this something you were aiming for or did it just happen?
I never think in terms of albums when I write. For me it’s all about the songs and it be influenced be anything from Def Leppard – Hysteria to Judas Priest – Painkiller. It has to come naturally because I always get stuck if I try to force anything regarding the songwriting.
– I believe «Killer» is your best yet, it feels like it flows better and it’s also more honest and mature. Could you say the 6 year gap helped perfecting it? Also due to this I would like to know how was the songwriting process for it.
The songwriting process is always different from song to song. Sometimes I have a chorus, a vers, a riff or even a guitar harmony solo to just start building the song around. I always record demo versions of the songs before I present them to the band. I think the gap between the 2 last records maybe helped the variation between the songs. The Song Killer was written 5-6 years ago and Solar Mariner was the last a Finnish early last year.
– This has been your first release with the German label Massacre Records. I think along with SPV is simply the perfect and most fitting company for a band like CRYSTAL EYES but how is this cooperatioin working thus far?
We have to wait and see because the records is just released. The only thing I’ve noticed so far is that there are a lot more people involved then on or previous labels were everything was handled by one person.
– All this about «Killer» being said; how could you describe it in just 3 words?
True Heavy Metal
The worst moment must have been in 1995 when I suddenly was on my own and had to find new members for the band. The best moment was probably when we opened Sweden Rock Festival in 2005.
– And finally, what are your near-future plans?
Now it’s all about playing live and that’s the only plan we have.
– That’s all, thank you once more for answering our questions. If you want to add some final words; feel free to do it.
Buy Killer If you’re into Heavy Metal!