– Hi, thanks for your time. What are you currently up to? How is everything doing right now with NIDINGR?
We have just released G.O.D. and played 2 shows right here in Oslo.
So for now we are rehearsing for our next gig with 1349. We also doing some retakes for a live video thing for Norwegian webTV «Bunker». Plus of course promoting our latest release.
– First of all, NIDINGR started as a personal project of Teloch pero when Blargh joined the band got the name of NIDINGR so, why did you pick that name? What meaning does it hold?
The almighty Google tell us that: In historical Germanic society, nīþ (Old Norse: níð; Old English: nīþ, nīð); was a term for a social stigma implying the loss of honour and the status of a villain. Nidingr = Badguys.
– NIDINGR is not a band that uses to release albums really usually, in fact you have just released three full-length albums in 16 years. Are there any main reasons for that?
Well we all have other problems also, not counting the Nidingr Brotherhood.
Things just take its time.
– Your latest opus is «Greatest of Deceivers». What are your expectations on this new record? And how is its feedback being so far?
The feedback has been very good indeed.
– Getting a bit into this new effort; what’s the main concept behind it?
The “Enochian texts” in mention is none other than ‘Book 418, Being of the Angels of the 30 Aethyrs, THE VISION AND THE VOICE’ by Aleister Crowley.
The book chronicles Crowley’s exploration of the 30 heavens of the Enochian system of magick.
Our new record ‘Greatest of Deceivers», is part two of a trilogy based on these texts. Each song features excerpts from one corresponding chapter or Aethyr.
– And does the cover artwork share a link with it? What does it represent?
The artwork utilizes the lyrics.
– I personally think this is one of the best albums of the year into the genre, being the ultimate step of the band on the road to perfection. Do you think this is the album you have always thought/wanted to do with NIDINGR?
Thanks! Its our best to date, we are not there yet, but we are getting closer with each album. We are setting new goals on each album as well, to keep it as fresh as possible for ourselves. Its important to do this when it comes to art, or else you don’t grow. Without growth there is no reason to exist.
– Overall I think it has a more raw and traditional approach. Was this something you were aiming for or did it just come out naturally?
No, this outcome was well thought about even before the making of the songs started. Actually its not very traditional at all, not many metal bands have done this 70s production that we did with this one. The idea was to create something dynamic and organic, and still keep it raw.
– You have always added certain new elements to your sound. Is this way of, somehow, refreshing yourself without loosing your essence something important for the band and its development?
Yup, its like what I answered in the previous one. Its of course really important to keep the essence, that’s where all our good shit is. Its really cool to see how far we can push it without loosing our essence. On the latest, I think we push it a little bit too far with some of the new elements, but one can still hear its Nidingr. If we push it too far then its now Nidingr anymore. Still we are gonna keep on pushing it and see where we end. Gonna push it on the next one as well, but not to much, baby steps.
– You have also had a great production by own Teloch. How positive is having a member of the band taking such duties? As I guess no one like you knows how NIDINGR is supposed to sound like.
It’s great. Teloch is definitely our main man (and very good looking also). Keeping it short, Nidingr would not be anywhere near black metal stardom today without the man.
– This has been your first release with Indie Recordings, I guess, as it’s a really big label, it may have been a positive change so, how is everything going with them so far?
As for now we are happy with them, I’m sure that will change down the line at some point, as it does with every label that only are after your gold.
– All this about «Greatest of Deceivers» being said; how could you describe it in just 3 words?
Trust no one.
– Some of you are also playing in other projects but, what does NIDINGR provide you other bands can’t?
NIDINGR is our main band. It provides the extreme metal feeling we all need as a part of good living.
– And finally, what are your near-future plans?
World domination of course. While waiting for that we are looking forward to Christmas holidays.
– That’s all, thank you once more for answering our questions. If you want to add some final words; feel free to do it.
Thanx for all your support. Love you long time.