– Hello, thanks for answering to our questions. How is everything doing right now with MUSTASCH? First off, could you please make some history of the band?
The band started in Gothenburg 1998. In January 2001. We released the first EP, The True Sound Of The New West. We have now released 9 albums. Ralf and Stam are the only original members. I joined 2008 and Jejo 2012.
– And do you know why did they pick such name for the band?
Yes, It was the old guitarist Hannes who came up with the band name. They were looking for a name and he was looking at old 70´s covers. He saw that all those bands had a thing in common. Mustaches!
– You’ve been nominated to Swedish Grammy several times but have never really made a blunt outside Swedish frontiers so, what is the main reason behind this?
We have never had good partners abroad. We now have a new partner in Germany and will tour there in November. We also have good contacts in the states. So maybe we will tour there in the near future.
– You have recently released your new album; how is its feedback being so far? And are you guys satisfied with the obtained result?
We´re really satisfied! We sold gold after one week. So we cant complain.
– This new album is entitled “Sounds like Hell, Looks like Heaven”, a quite eloquent title. What did you want to tell us with it and with the lyrics on the album? Do both things have any link?
The album titled just sounds good. Ralf is writing all the lyrics, so you have to ask him…
– This new opus shows your huge ability when it comes to the guitar work, with amazing riffs and solos. How do you use to work and approach guitar duties?
Sometimes me and Ralf are jamming in the rehearsal room and sometimes him or me just have a riff and we go from there. The solo part is also different. I want to sit at home and do my solos but Ralf always want me to do them in the studio. So I think it´s 50/50.
– Ralf’s vocal lines also manage to stand out due to his amazing vocal capacity. How big could you say is the role vocals play on this new effort?
I always think the vocals have the biggest role in music. If there´s a bad singer you don’t have a good band.
– If I’m not mistaken you recorded the album with drummer Dane McKenzie but now Jejo Perkovic has joined MUSTASCH as full-time drummer. How and why did you choose him? What has he brought to the band?
Thats correct. We tried a couple off drummers and Jejo was the best. We have just started to do new songs and it feels like Jejo have lot of stuff to contribute with. He comes from the Hip Hop scene and I think that is a good thing.
– The length of “Sounds like Hell, Looks like Heaven” is shorter than some of your previous releases; did this just come out naturally or is it something positive for the listener and the overall album’s impact to have a more straight-forward approach?
We had these songs and said, this is it. No more songs on the album. It´s over 30 min and I think that is good. The record only cost 100 skr.
– Once more you’ve shown your style draws inspiration from different musical genres but, what have been the most influential bands for the MUSTACHS’ sound?
– All this being said; how could you describe your new CD in just 3 words?
Hell Looks Heaven…
– This piece was produced by own Ralf; how positive is having a band members taking such duties? As I guess no one like you knows how the band is supposed to sound like.
When you have recorded so many albums as we have I think you know whats good and bad. And it was also an inspiring thing to do.
– Anyway seasoned Stefan Glaumann took mixing duties; are you satisfied with the work done by him?
Yes! I think he is one of the best. He produced 2 songs on Ratsafari back in 2003. Black city and 6:36
– On the other hand, the cover artwork was crafted by Martin Westerstrand; what did you want to express with it?
No Idea? Martin Westerstrand is a crazy guy!!!
– You have already filmed a video for “The Challenger”, by well-known Patric Ullaeus. How was working with him like?
It took us 2 hours to film it. That says it all. He is the best!
– And finally, what are your near-future plans?
We are doing new songs and we have a couple of gigs in September and October. German tour in November. Springtime we have to start recording the new album. That´s the near-future.
– That has been everything from my side, thanks once more for your time. If you now want to add some final words; feel free to do it.
Heavy Metal In The Night!