– Hello, lots of thanks for answering our interview. How is everything going into the DEBAUCHERY’s camp right now?
Hi, always the same. A lot of cool work for new stuff, a lot of shitty booking work too. And the new album entered the German album charts. That`s really cool for us.
– Later this month you will release your new album, «Kings of Carnage», which has already been sent to the press so, how are the first reactions being?
One half of the press hates the new album as always. But I think those guys don`t listen to the record anyway. I could make a progressive pop album and they would not notice it.
– Dwelling deeper into this new opus, «Kings of Carnage» is a really strong title. Were you looking for something that could fit both your lyrics and sound?
A strong title for an album is very important. I like Kings Of Carnage, sums up the whole thing in a few words.
– And what did you want to depict with its cover?
That`s a demon possessed dragon monster. One of the Blood Gods. Done by Adrian Smith, he`s one of my favourite artists. The guy who has also made a lot for Games Workshop, including the cover artworks for the latest Chaos books and the Tyranid Codex.
– After giving the effort some spins, there are songs as «Demonslayer» or «Debauchery Mother Fucking Family» with a strong Thrash vibe, specially on guitars. Was this something planned or did you just let things flow naturally?
On most Debauchery records there are some Slayer or Metallica like riffs. Except the first two perhaps.
– Still about such, have you broaden to new musical influences?
No, it`s always the same. Priest, Maiden, AC/DC, Metallica etc. Heavy Metal. I never listened too much to other music. I`m just better at what I do now, so people seem to hear the influences. On the first records I was perhaps just not good enough to write a real Heavy Metal song, so it was more primitive. But since Torture Pit most songs are straight Heavy Metal with monster voice.
– It also caught my attention «Blood God Kills» has all your elements and trademarks, it’s a song that sums up what this CD is all about. Did you want to have a tune like that could describe the album’s vibe in just one song?
No, if you feel it`s like that, it`s just coincidence.
– I personally think this time melodies are really well-cared and it seems you have focused a bit more on catchy moments, enhancing your most rockier side. Was this how you envisioned the album since the beginning?
It`s like I envision every album. Haha, always want to make an album like Painkiller or Master of Puppets. Only the result is different.
– It also has plenty groove, still being quite brutal. Is it easy to keep a good balance between brutality and melody?
For me it is difficult to make a song without groove. I have only to add some melodies. But yes it is always hard work to make a good song.
– In fact I believe your compositions get more mature with each album. Could you say this is just a natural evolution? The experience time and work gives you?
Yes of course. I have made 10 records in 10 years now, that helps a lot. 8 with DEBAUCHERY, 1 Big Ball Hard Rock album and 1 BLOOD GOD Hard Rock album. But I`m still learning and try to get better.
– Talking about such; how was the songwriting process?
It`s still the same as 10 years ago. I sit alone with my guitar somewhere or I write songs in my head. That`s it. In the studio I put it all together and listen to it for the first time myself.
– And what about the production process?
Since 2005 I work only with Dennis Ward for every record. He`s the best sound engineer I`ve ever met. We need about one week for the recording and another for the mix. Never change a running system.
– All this about «King sof Carnage» being said; how could you describe it in just 3 words?
Hack Slash Kill
– And finally, what are your near-future plans?
We go on tour with Six Feet Under through Scandinavia, than with Eisregen through Austria, Switzerland and Germany. I go to the studio for another BLOOD GOD album in October, than I write on the Carnage 3 book and I try to publish more DEBAUCHERY miniatures like the Carnager.
– That’s all, thank you once more for answering our questions. If you want to add some final words; feel free to do it.
Yeah, check out the new album. And Blood for the Blood God. Cheers