– Hello, thanks for answering to our questions. What are you guys currently up to?
Ave. We play(ed) a couple of festival and club shows this summer & recorded one track for an American v/a compilation, to come in autumn this year! Besides this, we practice the material for our fourth-coming full-length album, to be out in 2013.
– First off, if you don’t mind (and as you are a quite young band) I would like you to start with some history of VENENUM.
Both of the guitarists formed the band in late 2008 under the name Venenum. Completing the line-up with a drummer & a Vocalist/Bassplayer 2 years later, made us the four-piece we are and started recording in early 2011, releasing our debut and playing live.
– If I’m not mistaken you are working on new material; will that be your first full-length album? If so, how’s everything going and what will we hear on it? Has the good response toward the «Venenum» mini-cd affected the creative process?
Well, if the “masses” would hate Venenum, we would play this “style” anyway. Lots of material is already written for the first full-length album, but there are still pieces of the puzzle to come, to satisfy ourselves in the first place. To have a nauseatic reputation (the way Death Metal was meant to be) is always good to have as an extreme live-band.
– This being said; did you expect such a good feedback for «Venenum»?
Sepulchral Voice Records kind of knew it before we realised it, as they were the first individuals outside the band hearing it. Judging your own music you have created, is not possible on a neutral level.
– You were formed in 2008 but you released your first release last 2011; what were you up to during those 3 years? I read it had something to do with some line-up changes…
To get a real line-up, was rather necessary for us, but it can always take you some time…even years (as like in our case). Now, our aim is clear and only pure devotion matters!
– As far as I know you are one of the main songwriters in VENENUM, due to this I would like to know how does the songwriting process use to be like in the band and where do you draw inspiration from.
On the self-titled debut, all the material was written by both of the guitarists (as this material was composed before we completed the line-up), but for now, our singer/bassplayer is contributing riffs as well. To vary the flavour of the brew…you know!?
– Talking about inspiration, where do you take influence from for lyrics? And what do they deal with? As they have a quite horror vibe and they are not the usual ones on Death Metal.
We have this guiding theme about Death in a lot of relevances (be it philosophical or paranormal interests). Drawing inspiration from special books, various movies, different places on this planet and tons of music (which has not to be Metal). Responsible, for the unusual vibes you discovered in our Death Metal, is because preferences are not the usual ones as with all these standard bands these days…
– In fact it seems that both lyrics and visuals are an important part of the band, aren’t they? Do you think everything on your creations has to fit the music?
Absolutely… these both aspects build a triangle with our music of highest value to us. To recapture old traditions doesn’t mean to follow any rules! Call it Art for all the sensory organs.
– The whole mini cd has a quite dark and intriguing atmosphere, and I think the instrumental interludes you’ve included help highlighting this. Why did you want to express with them?
It’s like a blunt knife… you can use it more or less for its purpose, but a sharp knife will last longer for its purpose!!! Venenum shall and will pass the test of time – until it will become timeless.
– I read you recorded the MCD at someone’s rehearsal room; how did everything go? And were you satisfied with the final result?
These recording circumstances were rather difficult to handle, but with the help of A.O.D. (hail to him) it resulted in what everyone can get hold of now! The patience had paid off later on, so to speak.
– All this being said; how could you describe the «Venenum» MCD in just 3 words?
POISONOUS DEATH METAL
– And finally, what are your near-future plans?
Approaching towards finishing the album songwriting-wise and recording it in winter. In between playing worthwhile live-shows not with every band on every event, to keep it special.
– That’s all from my side, thanks again for taking your time to answer our questions. If you now want to add some final words; feel free to do it.
We appreciate your interest and the support with this interview. …PLUNGE ON INTO CERTAIN DEATH…